Good Food Allies (GFA) is a organization that seeks to facilitate the growth of small-scale farms and artisan businesses, generating vibrant and sustainable livability for those that maintain them, by connecting those who make good food with those who want to find it.
We exist to:
1. Bring small-scale farm and artisan food production to the forefront of consumer reliance.
2. Educate consumers on what good food is, when, where and why it is available and how it can be implemented into daily routines.
3. Further awareness around food labor conditions and initiate tangible change into the daily lives of family food producers.
We accomplish this through:
1. A project of Good Food Allies, Good Food Finder (GFF) is a grant-funded online directory, resource guide and interactive support tool that promotes the growth of small-scale farms and food production in Arizona, tells the stories of those who make it and creates a place for those who want to find it.
2. Collaborative relationships with like-minded partner organizations, food producers and fellow community members that further our allied cause, facilitating healthy and results-driven discussions around food topics through classes, round-tables, conferences, publications and services and referral support aimed at bridging the producer-consumer gap.
Please contact us if you have an interest in being involved. New projects are in development, penciled in for Fall 2013 launch, and we are looking for allies now!
Good Food Allies was founded in 2012 by Natalie Morris and Jennifer Woods. Long-time friends and good food advocates, both have been working in the farming community since 2006. Having been funded by a Borderlands Food and Water Security grant from the WK Kellogg Foundation via the University of Arizona for Good Food Finder, they wanted to pool resources to increase their impact on the farmers and artisan food producers in Arizona’s community beyond the database itself. Good Food Allies has since become the umbrella organization, with three active staff and an increasing number of participating supporters.
We believe that a good food system is circular: that from seed back to seed, all links in the food chain are thought of and treated fairly. While today’s food system typically consists of many links, Good Food Allies focuses on the people in it. We are inspired by the work of our small-scale, family farmers and ranchers and continue to be in awe of the artisans and home-cooks resurrecting and perfecting the cultural food traditions and practices of others.